Monday, July 7, 2008

It's that time again...

where for no reason I start feeling homesick for NY. I know all the cons: it's expensive, it's crowded, the winter is too cold, the summers too hot. Oh, and the whole gentrification thing. I agree and am even enjoying the perks of California living - there is no such thing as "cold" here and I can drive to an ocean, a mountain, a redwood forest or a desert with ease - the geographical diversity is spectacular.

But there's just that je ne sais qua that New York has and almo
st everywhere else doesn't. San Francisco is adorable, but it doesn't have this:












Or this:














Or subways (worth traveling). Or pizza. Oh god. East Coasters take note: you leave NY, you leave pizza behind. California thinks it has pizza, but it only has cheesey bread. Sometimes this cheesey bread is satisfying, but mostly it's not. Often it's horrendous. An ex-co-worker of mine (one born and bred in CA) once commented to me "Oh, you like NY style pizza."

No.

No. There is pizza (which is found in NY) an
d everything else purporting to be such. Saying "NY style pizza " is like saying "Pizza Pizza."

And to give California it's due - there is no Mexican food on the east coast. Trust me, you may think you're eating a burrito, but you're not.

Um, anyway. I'm homesick. I'm not moving back. I guess I should learn to enjoy this feeling.

*sniffle*



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ironically I have been wanting to go out to CA. But not until it stops being on fire.